When it comes to keeping you and your family safe at home, there are so many things to consider—the condition of your roof, protecting your basement from any leaks, and keeping your HVAC system in great condition. Beyond all of those, improving your attic ventilation should be on the list! A well ventilated attic can make your entire home healthier and filled with fresh air. Here are some simple and quick tips for improving your attic ventilation at home.
Why Does Attic Ventilation Matter?
An attic that is properly ventilated should be able to do the following:
- Stop mildew growth and rot on your roof
- Reduce the amount of moisture buildup in your attic
- Prevent ice dams from forming on your roof
- Help your shingles last longer by keeping your roof cool throughout the year
- Reduce your energy bills throughout the summer
What Causes Poor Attic Ventilation?
The signs of poorly ventilated attics include:
- Insulation in the space between the rafters that prevents air from traveling throughout the attic
- Aluminum or vinyl eaves installed over plywood soffits without any venting holes
- Gaps around pipes, ductwork, or electrical boxes
- Roof vents installed only on one side of the roof
- Kitchen or bath fans that are vented through the attic instead of through the roof
Improving Your Attic Ventilation
Some simple ways to improve your attic’s ventilation include:
- Adding soffit vents to create a huge amount of airflow in your attic
- Adding rectangular roof vents to hip or pyramid roofs with shorter ridge lines
- Adding ridge vents that seamlessly blend into the roof to evenly distribute ventilation along the roof ridge
- Creating specialty roof vents if you have a unique shape like starter vents, circular vents, or flash filter vents
Helping Improve Your Home Every Day
Schaefer Siding & Exteriors provides a huge variety of services for your home, from window installation to roofing repair. We are EPA certified, a Hardie Preferred Remodeler, VSI Certified, and a CertainTeed 5-Star Contractor. We take an immense amount of pride in the quality of our work and know that you will love the finished result. We have almost 40 years of experience in giving our customers high-quality roofs, siding, and more. To get a quote or learn more, give us a call at 410-781-4028 or visit us online. To get more tips, follow us on Houzz, YouTube, Pinterest, Facebook, Google+, and Twitter.