Shingled roof deterioration can do significant damage to your roof and make extensive repairs or even total replacement necessary. Fortunately, there are a number of proactive measures you can take to prevent deterioration from occurring. In this week’s blog, we’ll talk about why roof deterioration happens, how to prevent it from happening, and what to do if you find roof deterioration in your home.
Shingled Roof Deterioration
Why Does Shingled Roof Deterioration Occur?
Shingled roof deterioration usually occurs in areas where the roof is already damaged, which allows moisture to get in. There are three main reasons roof deterioration occurs.
- High humidity levels in the attic as a result of high attic temperatures.
- Poor ventilation in the attic/roof that prevents moisture from escaping.
- High humidity levels resulting in excessive moisture buildup.
How To Prevent Shingled Roof Deterioration
There are several things you can do to prevent roof deterioration from occurring.
- Keep the temperature and humidity levels in your attic consistent and moderate all year round. Humidity levels are especially important. Try to keep humidity levels between 40-60 percent.
- Make sure your attic and roof is well ventilated. If you don’t have a roof ventilation system that includes ridge vents, soffit vents, and attic fans, talk to a professional roofing company.
- Don’t let debris build up on your roof. This is because debris can prevent water from flowing off the roof, creating a backup that could get under damaged shingles and lead to deterioration. Inspect your roof from the ground to see if there is any debris, and hire a professional to remove debris from your roof once or twice a year.
What Does Shingled Roof Deterioration Look Like?
Here are a few things to look for:
- A sagging roof
- Water stains on the ceiling in the attic
- Water stains on interior walls in the attic.
These are all tell-tale signs of a moisture problem. If you discover roof rot in your home, contact a professional roofing company such as Schaefer Siding and Exteriors today. We’ve been installing and repairing roofs in Maryland since 1977. We’re both VSI certified and a CertainTeed 5-Star rated Contractor. Contact us today at 410-781-4028 or email us. You can also visit our website for more information.
Tags: roof deterioration